Monday, February 28, 2011

Is America Regressing?

I have been taking a course through Teachers without Borders and one of our discussions have focused on the school culture in our area of the world. While my particular school culture has been a positive one, I had alot of trouble answering the particular question due to the recent turmoil concerning public teachers. Each day I wake up determined to do a good job, a great job, and am faced with a public that simply has disdain for the job I do; how can students respect their teachers when their parents believe that we are the cause for all the evils in the world? My foreign students tell me that they would never disrespect a teacher for fear of punishment and they are shocked by the attitude of American kids to their teachers. Are we regressing?

3 comments:

  1. Excellent post. It's frustrating to be in a job where we aren't appreciated the way we should be. Not everyone could teach 30 students of varying backgrounds mathematical concepts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is stressful to go to work everyday. At times it feels like a thankless job. It amazes me how many parents blame teachers and most of them do not keep track of students grades. My school uses an online gradebook that allows students and parents to check grades. It amazes me that parents due not utilize the gradebook. Teachers should not take all the blame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have an online grade book and post grades in class weekly. The same things are happening. Neither parents or students are keeping track of their grades. Then I get blamed when a student is failing. The only thing that saves us a little is eligibility requirements. Student athelete's must pass every class to play and we check grades weekly. Back to getting blamed for the world being corrupted...when are parent's going to take responsibility for their children? As a teacher, we are expected to teach children academically as well as socially. That is the problem with our world...teacher's have to try to raise 150 kids a year. Maybe if parent's had to take a test to become a parent, we would have a perfect world...

    ReplyDelete